Saturday, July 6, 2013

Inspired Beader: Natural Pretty Things

Petite Pressed Flower Necklace by Natural Pretty Things

One of the best things about being a beader today is the variety of mediums available on nearly any budget. We don’t have to stick with just one set of materials or techniques if our creative hearts want to wander. Some of the jewelry design styles being used by artists right now are inspiring, beautiful, and totally irresistible.

Resin is one popular material that never fails to impress, and it is put to amazing use in the designs at Natural Pretty Things where today’s guest, June, captures some of nature’s prettiest treasures in timeless handmade pendants and cabochons.

Inspirational Beading: How did you first get into jewelry design?

June: It was pure coincidence. About two years ago my husband and I took our daughter to a National Trust garden. I saw these jewellery I’d never seen before. They have REAL flowers inside a glass-like medium. It was like the absolute freshness from the nature being preserved in the purest form and I was instantly hooked. I have an obsessive nature so I started researching that night. It turned out to be something handmade!! So I decided I must try my hands on it. I made my first piece of jewellery soon after that.

Inspirational Beading: Do you remember your first design?

June: I made a few things with my first batch of resin, unfortunately I lacked the precision to mix the two parts correctly. They turned out to be rubbery and I couldn’t get them out of the mould. That was my unforgettable first.

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite thing about working with resin?

June: I like transparent medium of all sorts. Ice, glass, water, air or thin mist. I like leaves trapped on spider webs and look like they just float there from afar. The purity of transparent medium and the way it captures and reflects the light and the shadow fascinates me endlessly. You can put almost anything in resin and observe it in great details. You can shape your piece however you want. And the best thing is, it doesn’t break easily like glass. It’s almost perfect for capturing beauty.

Dandelion Seed Necklace by Natural Pretty Things Pink Flower Resin Pendant by Natural Pretty Things


Inspirational Beading: Tell us about your design process. How does a new piece begin?

June: I have no set rules. I am very disorganized and I like being random. A new piece could begin with a pencil sketch, or an inspiring photo, or nothing. Sometimes I go into the woods and find a nice feather or a flower stalk, I bring them back and put them in whichever mould that fits. Then I start to think about colours etc. It’s better for me this way.

Inspirational Beading: What was the inspiration behind your favorite design?

June: My favourite design is my mermaid necklace, featuring tiny starfish, seashell and pearls. It was born after a trip to the seaside. My daughter picked lots of shells from the beach and I thought: ‘Maybe I should make a piece of jewellery with them for her, and hopefully she will appreciate how mummy has kept the memory of that trip when she grows up.’ I decided to colour it in turquoise because that’s the colour of the ocean. I was so in love with the result that I decided to include it in my shop.

Seafoam Nautical Resin Ring by Natural Pretty Things

Inspirational Beading: Is there a material or subject that you would love to use, but haven’t tried yet?

June: Yes I would like to try silversmithing and clay. I would love to make my own silver findings to compliment my resin pieces. I also would love to make rustic things out of clay. But I’m afraid I don’t have time for them yet.

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite color to work with?
June: Turquoise. There are so many names you can call this colour: aqua, mint, minty green etc. Although they represent different shades of it, they are all the colour of ocean water. I feel calm just looking at it.

Inspirational Beading: Who do you hope to inspire with your work?

June: I never thought to inspire any one. I think my work is creating little keepsakes from nature for people who love nature. I love getting custom orders and having people to send me little things which means a lot to them to cast in resin. When I make them I know they are going to be worn very close to someone’s heart, and that makes me very proud of my work.

You can see more beautiful resin jewelry in June's Etsy shop, or see that latest designs on Facebook and Twitter. Check out some of June's other inspirations on Pinterest and Wanelo.

Copyright 2013 Inspirational Beading and Natural Pretty Things
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


5 comments:

  1. She does beautiful work. I love it all! Thanks for this info and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mortira! I'm really grateful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is absolutely amazing - gobsmacked!!!! I would really like to know how you put the dandelion seed inside the resin. I have tried to find tutorials on google but there seems to be everything except the dandelion instructions. It grows crazy here by me in South Africa and I would love to capture this in resin ball with necklace for my family. As it is - all my sisters and I got a dandelion tattoo as a sisterhood bond. Please email me at ansumitidbury@hotmail.com if you do not mind!!! Thank you for giving such amazing art pieces to enjoy! And want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ansumi, thanks for your kind words! Putting dandelion seeds in resin is no different than everything else. They are lighter and so you probably need to be more careful with bubbles. I wouldn't pour lots of resin over them too fast. Instead 'dampen' them with a little resin first and make sure to burst any bubbles with a toothpick before pouring the rest of the resin. Ball moulds are available on Etsy in many shops. Do a simple search and you will find them. Best luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com